In 1906, he gave a set of stone Ferradini lions from Bellagio Italy, to the Carnegie Library, which had opened in 1903.
GOVERNOR OSBORN'S GIFTS TO THE SAULT STE. MARIE COMMUNITY
Chase S. Osborn first came as a visitor to Sault Ste. Marie in 1887. He described his reaction upon seeing the area for the first time: "It was to
Osborn came to love this area above all others. He wrote in The Iron Hunter, his autobiography published in 1919, of his warm sentiments for the Sault: "My
Osborn gave to the Sault Ste. Marie community many and varied gifts. Early gifts included items he brought back from his world travels for the Melville Museum located in the high school. In 1906, he gave a set of stone Ferradini lions from Bellagio Italy, to the Carnegie Library, which had opened in 1903. Also in 1906, he presented to St. James' Episcopal Church eleven iron bells.
Two of Osborn's most impressive gifts to the Sault community are the Japanese torii, located in the government locks park, and the Capitoline Wolf on the grounds of the Chippewa County Courthouse.
Osborn, on one of his trips, had this torii shipped back from Kobe, Japan, to be presented to the city of Sault Ste. Marie. For many years the torii was flanked by two Japanese Shinto lanterns, also gifts from Osborn. The bronze Capitoline Wolf, or "lupa di Roma," is an exact replica of the original one in Rome. It was made by Vincenzo Aurisicchio upon Osborn's request, and given to Sault Ste. Marie.
Other notable gifts that Chase Osborn presented to the Sault community include 1,000 elms planted throughout the city (these trees, unfortunately, were victims of Dutch elm disease), the lighted cross on the top of the Central United Methodist Church, and several paintings by American artists that were placed in the high school in 1918, as well as substantial gifts of land and money.
Lighted cross on the top of the Central United Methodist Church